Refinery Kerosene Hydrotreater Addition
A Lima, Ohio refinery has undergone a number of projects to enhance flexibility and respond to changing market conditions. GEM Inc. was selected to erect a kerosene hydrotreater unit, which is designed to increase distillate capacity and provide greater ability to switch between on-road diesel and jet fuel production.
We safely provided equipment setting, piping installation, instrumentation, precision rotating equipment alignment, structural steel and field assembly of two furnaces. With this project, the refinery now can produce up to 20,000 bbls/day of kerosene.
Specific project elements included:
- Installation of 30,000 feet of heavy-wall stainless steel and alloy mechanical piping
- Heavy rigging and setting of 400,000-pound reactor, 280,000-pound stabilizer tower and various other vessels/equipment
- Internal trays and supports for reactor, stabilization tower and other vessels
- Installation of high pressure pump skids, including rough setting, epoxy grouting and final laser alignment
- Erection of 350 tons of structural steel, the majority being shop-fireproofed steel
- Field assembly of two ASME code high pressure furnaces
- Installation and loop checking of all unit instrumentation
- Management of craft trades and subcontractors for project erection and commissioning